Raspberry and white chocolate souffles
( MAKES 8 )
These individual souffles make a lovely dinner party or Christmas dessert. They are made in ⅔ cup-capacity souffle dishes.
- To make the base, place the raspberries and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally. Combine the cornflour and water. Stir into the hot raspberries, until thick. Cool. Can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week.
- To prepare the ramekins, grease 8 soufflé ramekins with the softened butter using a pastry brush. Chill, until set. Paint again with the butter creating a thick layer. Sprinkle with the sugar, rolling around to coat the base and sides evenly.
- To prepare the soufflé, place the egg whites in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Whisk, preferably with an electric beater. Slowly add the remaining sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Place the berry base in another bowl. Stir well then add the chocolate. Fold in ⅓ of the egg whites. Then fold in the remaining egg whites. (This can be prepared an hour ahead and refrigerated.)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Spoon the soufflé mixture into the ramekins. Smooth the tops by running the straight edge of a metal spatula over the ramekins. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Great served with wedges of mild soft goat’s cheese.