Chinese chicken (for Asian burgers)
Photo by Tam West
These spicy chicken thighs make a very tasty filling for Asian burgers, placed inside steamed bao buns alongside pickled vegetables,citron mayonnaise and a little chilli-spiked green cabbage. To prepare the cabbage, simply toss ¼ of a finely chopped green cabbage with ½ a finely chopped green chilli. Mix through a little of the red onion from the pickled vegetables and moisten with a little citron mayonnaise.
- Cut chicken thighs in half, if they are on the larger side, and place between two sheets of baking paper (or use plastic wrap). Flatten out chicken with a meat mallet, rolling pin or small saucepan so all pieces are the same thickness. This will help them cook more evenly.
- Mix together the egg, sriracha sauce and soy sauce. Place the flour on a flat plate and the breadcrumbs on another.
- Place chicken thighs in the flour, dusting off excess, then the egg mixture and finally the crumbs, patting down well to coat evenly. Set aside while you heat the oil.
- Heat enough oil in a large frying pan to cover the base by about 2cm. When hot, add the chicken, in two batches to prevent overcrowding. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes, turning once. Check it is cooked by cutting one piece in half. Remove and drain well on crumpled kitchen paper. Fry the remaining chicken.
- Before placing in the Chinese burger, brush top of the chicken with a little Chinese black vinegar and sprinkle with a little ground sichuan pepper.