Brioche and apricot pudding
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This recipe was passed down from my grandfather who loved to cook. In the Depression this was a cheap dessert, using stale bread, an egg and milk. My version is slightly decadent with brioche and apricots. I am sure Pa would have loved it.
- Preheat an oven to 170C. Butter a 1 litre oven proof pudding bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the apricots and allow to sit for 20 minutes, then drain.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, cream and milk.
- Cut the brioche into pieces. Layer it into the pudding bowl with the apricots and egg mixture pressing the brioche down to cover it with wet mixture. Place into the oven for 35-40 minutes until puffed and set. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve dusted in icing sugar with whipped cream.