Poached salmon, celeriac almond salad and green mayo
Photo by Tam West
|1½ cups||Baby spinach|
|¼ cup||Mixed herbs, chopped, dill or chervil, parsley and chives|
|1 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|½ cup||Vegetable oil|
|¼ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|4 pieces||Boneless salmon fillets, approximately 150g each, skin on|
|½||Lemon, for court bouillon|
|2||Parsley stalks, for court bouillon|
|4||Peppercorns, for court bouillon|
|1||Bay leaf, for court bouillon|
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil. Plunge spinach and herbs into water and stir once, then drain in a sieve. Next plunge wilted greens into iced water for 1 minute, then drain in a sieve again. Press out all water. Process to a smooth paste, and set aside.
- Now make mayo. Place yolks and mustard in a bowl and whisk together (or place in bowl of food processor and turn on at medium speed). Continually whisking, start adding vegetable oil a drop at a time. Mixture will start to thicken. After adding half the vegetable oil, slightly increase the rate of adding oil, and keep whisking until all oil has been added. Finally add extra virgin olive oil in a steady stream, whisking all the while. Whisk in green puree, then season to taste with salt and lemon juice. Cover surface with clingfilm and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Find a pan large enough to fit salmon in a single layer. Add enough water to cover salmon, add court bouillon flavourings, and bring just to the boil. Slip salmon pieces into the water, lower heat to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Turn off heat and leave salmon in pan for a further 5 minutes to continue cooking.
- Peel celeriac and cut into matchsticks by hand or using a mandolin. Toss immediately with a squeeze of lemon juice. Cut apple into matchsticks too, and add to celeriac. Immediately add 2 Tbsp green mayo and toss gently until coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add toasted almonds and extra herb springs and toss again.
- Serve each piece of poached salmon with a spoonful of green mayo, a generous helping of celeriac salad and lemon wedges.