Self-saucing chocolate macaroon pudding
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
For a dessert that uses just a few store-cupboard ingredients, it always amazes me how good self-saucing chocolate pudding is — and everyone loves it. Adding coconut gives the pudding more texture. Give this recipe to the kids to make.
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|⅔ cup||Self raising flour|
|2 Tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
- Heat oven to 170C fanbake. Grease a 1 litre-capacity oven dish with butter.
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift flour, salt and cocoa over the creamed mixture. Add coconut and fold in dry ingredients with a large metal spoon. Spread mixture into a prepared dish.
- To prepare the sauce, combine the brown sugar, second measure of cocoa and boiling water in a bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved. Carefully pour wet sauce mixture over the pudding (pour over the back of a spoon held over the pudding to stop the liquid from damaging the pudding mix).
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the sponge has risen and set. Serve hot with cream or ice cream.