Feijoa curd and scones
Photo by Tam West
This feijoa curd has an amazing buttery toffee flavour and is delicious with a batch of freshly baked scones and cream, or smothered on hot buttered toast or crumpets. It keeps well in the fridge.
|15||Feijoas, scooped out, approx 250g|
|1 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|150 g||Caster sugar|
|100 g||Unsalted butter|
For the curd
- Puree the feijoas and lemon juice and strain through a fine sieve to remove seeds.
- Beat the eggs, yolks and sugar together. Heat in a heavy-based pan on a medium heat then slowly whisk in the butter, a knob at a time.
- Keep cooking gently, stirring constantly, for about 8 minutes until thickened. Mix in the feijoa puree and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then pour into a sterilised jar. Store in the fridge.
- Eat smothered on scones with cream or on hot buttered toast or crumpets.
For the scones
- Heat oven to 210C.
- Rub butter into dry ingredients with fingertips to resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in milk with a fork to form a dough.
- Roll on a lightly floured surface and cut into 12 squares.
- Brush with milk then bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.