Chocolate Easter egg cookies
( MAKES 20 cookies )
Decorate these egg-shaped cookies with imagination. For the garnish and decorations, I used prepared yellow icing, white chocolate, flaked coconut, hokey pokey balls and pearl balls. See more of Jan Bilton's recipes in her Meaningful Easters feature or take a look at our best Easter baking recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk, until light. Add the egg and beat until just combined
- Fold in the sifted flours and cocoa. Mix to a firm dough.
- Roll out between two sheets of baking paper to 5mm thickness. Using an egg-shaped cutter or template, cut the dough into about 20 eggs and place on the prepared trays.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on underneath. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate over hot water or in the microwave. Stir well. Spread over the cooled cookies. Allow to set.
Easter chicken cookie
Roll out prepared yellow icing (from the supermarket) to about 3mm thickness. Using a template, cut out a chicken shape. Brush the underside with a little melted and sieved jam and place on top of a cookie. Using dark chocolate writing icing, make marks to represent and eye, beak and wing.
Pipe white chocolate or melted white chocolate on cookies in circles and/zigzags.
Top a chocolate-covered cookie before the chocolate sets completely with hokey pokey balls. (In containers in the icing department of supermarkets.)
Top with flaked coconut and coloured pearl balls.