Pork chops with apples and sauerkraut
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
The sauerkraut works well with the richness of the pork chop and the sweetness of the apples. Read more on how to make sauerkraut and ways to use it.
- Put the garlic, fennel seeds and oil into a large bowl, add the chops, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well so that the chops are evenly coated.
- Heat a large frying pan over moderate heat and add the chops side by side. Fry gently for about 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through and well-browned.
- Remove from the pan and keep hot. Discard the garlic.
- Add the apples to the pan and fry until browned.
- Add the sugar, sauerkraut and wine and let it bubble for 1 minute.
- Add the jus, bring to the boil and boil until slightly syrupy.
- Add the lemon juice, taste and season.
- Serve over the chops and sprinkle with parsley.