Refined sugar-free apricot and blueberry jam
( MAKES 3-4 x 250ml jars )
This season I’ve been working on a sugar-free jam. I come across lots of people who are becoming more aware of their sugar intake but also those who crave the sweetness of jams but are diabetic. Apricots and blueberries are the perfect seasonal solution for such a palate as they are both high in pectin, meaning they thicken more naturally. This jam is a soft set honey-sweetened jam but if you prefer a sweeter, firmer alternative, replace the honey with 300g of sugar.
- Wash the apricots and blueberries.
- Chop the apricot flesh into 1cm cubes, place in a bowl with the blueberries and honey and mix through. Cover and leave for 2-4 hours.
- Wash and rinse 3-4 250ml jars with matching lids and place in a low-temperature oven of about 100-120C for at least 20 minutes.
- Once the fruits have macerated a little with the honey, transfer into a wide-rimmed heavy-based pan with the lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Stir frequently for around 15-20 minutes until the jam thickens and spits, rather than reaching the usual jam setting point.
- When your wooden spoon leaves a trail on the bottom of the pan you are at the right consistency and ready to place in jars.
- Pour/ladle into your warm, dry sterilised jars and seal. Cool, label, date and store for up to 6 months.
- Once opened keep in the fridge and eat within 2-3 weeks (less time than usual as there isn’t the sugar to preserve it for as long).