Vietnamese beef and cucumber salad
Photo by Tam West
Salad and noodles
- Marinate beef in soy and fish sauces for 30 minutes.
- Stir dressing ingredients together until sugar has dissolved.
- Heat a cast iron pan or non-stick pan to medium-high heat. Lift beef from marinade and add to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes each side until medium-rare. Remove to a clean plate and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Halve cucumbers lengthwise and deseed, then slice into ribbons using a mandolin or sharp vegetable peeler. Cut beans into 4cm lengths and add to a wide mixing bowl with cucumber.
- Add watercress, herbs and chilli to bowl.
- Cut beef lengthwise into 3cm wide strips, then slice crosswise into bite-sized slices. Place beef on top of salad, pour dressing over salad. Toss gently and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with cool rice noodles.