Grilled peaches on French toast
This is a really easy way to enjoy the flavour of peaches for breakfast or brunch. Spiced fruit muffins need no extra cinnamon or sugar to sweeten them up. The delicious coconut yoghurt adds a cooling freshness to balance the peach. I have made a simple orange syrup (which will keep well in the fridge for months) to give this dish just an extra layer of flavour. If you’re too busy then try some maple syrup instead.
|4||Spiced fruit muffins|
|1 cup||Coconut yoghurt|
|¼ cup||Coconut chips, lightly toasted|
- Beat the eggs then stir in the milk. Split muffins in half and soak in this mix for or at least 5 minutes, turning from time to time.
- Cut peaches in half, then twist the peach open to carefully remove the stones.
- Place peach halves flesh-side down on a barbecue grill over medium heat to cook for 6-10 minutes.
- On the barbecue hot plate or in a large frying pan, heat the butter until bubbling, then cook muffins on both sides until golden.
- Stack muffins in warm bowls then arrange peaches on top. Spoon over the coconut yoghurt, sprinkle with coconut chips and drizzle with orange syrup.
- For the syrup, finely grate the zest of the orange and place in a small saucepan with the sugar. Squeeze the juice from the orange and measure half a cup into the saucepan. Slowly bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely then store in the fridge.
More peach recipes from Geoff Scott