Korean BBQ beef
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
A fun way to cook is with a traditional Korean barbecue, cooked over hot coals. Here, however, for convenience, an electric grill is perfect. Place in the centre of the table and everyone can enjoy the flipping and basting of the meat and vegetables as they cook.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|½||Red chilli, chopped|
|1 tsp||Lemon zest|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
- To make the marinade, into a bowl combine the oil, soy, garlic, chilli, lemon zest and juice. Add the steak and mix well. Leave to marinate overnight. Before cooking, pat the steak dry with paper towels, reserving a little marinade to baste.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- When you are ready to cook, lightly oil and heat your hotplate at the table. Sear the steak for 3 minutes each side. At the same time add the cabbage, mushrooms, seasoning well, and cook through.
- Carve the meat into thin slithers and return to hotplate to keep warm.
- Serve with a drizzle of dressing.