Reader recipe: Gluten-free Persian love cake
Photo by Tam West
Emma Oakman was one of two runners-up in our special occasion desserts reader recipe competition. Emma said: "Adapted from a recipe by Gerard Yaxley of Qöm Restaurant, Australia (now closed), this is a real crowd-pleaser and quite light for the end of a meal. Plus it’s gluten-free."
Judges said: "This is a gluten-free cake that is full of interesting flavours. Nice enough for special occasions, simple enough for day-to-day."
- Heat the oven to 180C. Butter and line an 18cm spring form tin with baking paper.
- Mix together the almond meal, sugars and salt in a bowl to combine evenly. Add the butter and rub with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared tin and press down gently to cover the base evenly.
- To the remaining mixture, add the egg, yoghurt and spices, and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Pour this mixture over the prepared base, and sprinkle the chopped pistachios around the border.
- Bake until golden brown and just set, approximately 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack, before gently unmoulding and transferring to a serving plate. Serve with extra greek yoghurt on the side.
See the winner and other runner up entries
- Raw mango and passionfruit summer celebration cake
- Nectarine, sweet riesling and white chocolate tiramisu
Have a look at all the competition entries