Simple steak salad with herby dressing
This recipe makes a smaller amount of steak go a long way – at barbecues it’s so often unnecessary to have an entire steak along with everything else – this recipe takes two decent pieces and slices them up to go further.
|½ head||Iceberg lettuce, finely sliced|
|1 large handful||Mixed salad leaves|
|1 large||Avocado, chopped in chunks|
|1 medium||Red onion, thinly sliced|
|500 g||Steak, flank, rump or scotch|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|1 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 small||Lemon, zest and juice of|
|2 Tbsp||Capers, chopped|
|1 small bunch||Tarragon, finely chopped|
|1 small bunch||Fresh mint, finely chopped|
|1 small bunch||Fresh parsley, finely chopped|
|1 small bunch||Fresh basil, finely chopped|
- Cook the sweet corn in a frying pan or on the barbecue – allowing it to get slightly charred. Carefully slice the kernels off the cob.
- Toss the lettuce together with the salad greens. Add the avocado and onion. Gently combine with your hands.
- Cook the steak until medium rare – either on the barbecue or in a frying pan. Allow to rest before slicing into ½ cm strips.
- Serve the steak on top of the salad and dress with the dressing.
For the dressing
- Whisk all ingredients together with a fork and pour over the salad.