Banana nut pancakes
( MAKES 12 )
Photo by Tam West
Make a simple buttermilk pancake batter and, for a special and nutritious breakfast, add banana and nuts to the mix. Cook and serve with yoghurt and creme fraiche, and top with maple syrup. Or do as we did and instead of the maple, top with a summery cherry and blueberry compote.
Blueberry cherry compote
- Sift flour with caster sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk egg with buttermilk until smooth. Gradually add the dry ingredients and 1 Tbsp melted butter and beat until smooth.
- Fold in 1-2 mashed bananas, blitzed nuts and a little lemon or orange zest. Rest for 10 minutes or chill until ready to use.
- To cook, melt remaining butter in a large frying pan until foaming. Add ¼ cup spoonfuls of batter and cook until bubbles appear on the surface (approximately 3-4 mins). Flip and cook until pancakes are golden on both sides, keeping them warm in the oven in a clean tea towel until ready to serve.
- Serve pancakes topped with a dollop of yoghurt and creme fraiche, whipped smooth with a little lemon juice, then drizzle with maple syrup. Alternatively, as we have done, instead of the maple syrup, top the yoghurt/creme fraiche mix with a fresh blueberry cherry compote.
- To make blueberry cherry compote, in a pan place water and 2-3 Tbsp honey, blueberries, cherries, the zest of 1 orange and the juice of 2. Gently simmer until mixture is syrupy, approximately 10-15 minutes. Refrigerate to store.
More pancake recipes