( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
- Heat the oven to 180C. Line a shallow baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and make deep cuts in a criss-cross pattern on each cut side, but not cutting through their skin. Place eggplant halves on the baking tray.
- Combine the oil and half the mirin and spoon over the eggplant halves. Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes or until very soft.
- Place the remaining mirin, soy sauce, miso paste, sugar and chilli into a bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Remove eggplant halves from the oven and spoon over the mirin mixture then return to the oven and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until glazed.
- Serve with a bowl of cooked rice and steamed green beans tossed in sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.