Deluxe barbecued steak, bacon and mushrooms
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Warren Buckland
This is the main course I did with Italian chef Paolo Pancotti at a lunch at the Hastings Farmers Market. We only had barbecues to cook on but all went well (they were Electrolux En:V barbecues after all!) and this is truly a deluxe version of steak and mushrooms.
- Put the eye fillet, 1 Tbsp of the oil, the pepper and the crushed garlic into a bowl. Mix well so everything is evenly distributed over the fillet.
- Brush the mushrooms with the remaining oil and season them with salt and black pepper.
- Put the sour cream and mustard into a bowl. Add the herbs and zest. Mix well.
- Heat a barbecue over moderate heat and barbecue the fillet, bacon and mushrooms - cooking the beef 15 minutes for medium rare (longer if you like it cooked more) and turning it occasionally so it cooks evenly. Cook the mushrooms on both sides until soft and juicy but not soggy.
- Remove the fillet and bacon and rest in a warm placefor 5 minutes, loosely covered with foil.
- Slice the mushrooms 1.5cm thick and keep them warm.
- Slice the fillet and serve it with the mushrooms and bacon piled on top.
- Scatter some chervil sprigs on top and serve with the sour cream in a bowl.