Boned turkey with cranberry, apple and nut stuffing
Photo by Babiche Martens
Carving the turkey is always a big part of the ceremony. All eyes are on the carver as they navigate their way around the bone. To make things easier, this boned turkey with cranberry, apple and nut stuffing is perfect. Use the turkey carcass to make a tasty stock. The gravy can be made ahead of time and reheated for serving.
|1 large||Onion, chopped|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 sticks||Celery, chopped|
|3||Bacon rashers, diced|
|5 slices||Bread, made into crumbs|
|2 tsp||Lemon zest|
|1 tsp||Chopped thyme|
|1 tsp||Chopped rosemary|
|1 cup||Chopped nuts|
|1 tsp||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|½ cup||Chopped parsley|
|1||Turkey, 3.5kg, breast bone removed|
|1 cup||Stock, or water|
- Heat oven to 170C. Line a large baking tray with paper.
- Starting by cutting down the side of the turkey breast, continue on to slowly remove the frame. (Leave the drums intact, but remove the thigh bone.)
- Heat the oil to a medium heat in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, celery and bacon. Cook for a few minutes until softened. Remove and cool. Place the bread, zest, thyme, rosemary, nuts, cranberries, apple, salt, pepper, egg, and parsley in a large bowl. Add the onion mix and combine.
- Lay the turkey flat on the baking dish. Place the stuffing in the middle and reshape the bird, tying with string or using skewers.
- Rub the outside of the turkey with oil and season. Place the stock into the baking dish, cover with tinfoil and roast for 2 hours.
- Remove the cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes until golden brown.