Raw fennel and broccoli salad with quick pickled onions
( MAKES one bowl, to seve 6-8 people )
Photo by Michael Craig
If I'm heading to a barbecue and am asked to take something, I always opt for easy, quick and low-maintenance when preparing them. This salad also makes a great base for a summer dinner at home - just add your favourite protein and enjoy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey and sea salt. Add the thinly sliced red onion, ensuring the onion is submerged. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse the broccoli well under cold water, then pat dry with a tea towel. Blitz it in a food processor. Alternatively, roughly chop the broccoli until reasonably fine.
- Thinly slice the fennel using a food processor or a mandolin.
- Add broccoli and fennel into a large bowl. Add the dates and the hazelnuts.
- Remove the red onion from the liquid and add to the salad. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to the liquid and whisk together well. Use this to dress the salad, adjusting the taste as necessary.
More salad recipes from Delaney