French almond cake
Photo by Tam West
The almond cake recipe makes a rich moist cake that keeps for a week in an airtight tin, so being ready with it isn’t a problem. Serve this cake alongside Ray's Orange and strawberry salad.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Butter and flour a 22cm diameter cake tin.
- Beat the sugar, egg yolks and zest until pale and thick.
- Beat in the butter then stir in the almonds and flour until well mixed.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Add a little of the whites to the almond mixture and beat it in to loosen the mixture.
- Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites making sure there are no lumps.
- Spoon into the tin and bake 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool and dust with icing sugar.
More of Ray's party recipes