( MAKES 10 )
Photo by Tam West
Crispy fried Mexican rolled tortillas, also known as “tacquitos”, can be made with either flour tortillas or corn ones. There are no set rules with the fillings — so you can put anything you like inside. Ours are filled with barbecued chilli chicken. Traditional toppings include guacamole and sour cream and they’re great dipped into tomato sherry salsa. You will need toothpicks for this recipe.
|2 cups||Barbecue chilli chicken, cooked, recipe below|
|2 cups||Rice, steamed|
|3 Tbsp||Chilli sauce, or barbecue sauce|
|10 medium||Flour tortillas|
|1½ Ltr||Vegetable oil, for deep frying|
Barbecue chilli chicken
- To make tacquitos: Finely dice the cooked barbecued chilli chicken (instructions below) and mix with rice. Add chilli sauce. Place two tablespoons of chicken mix in a line across the tortilla.
- Wrap tightly and use two toothpicks to stop the tortilla from unrolling. Do not fold over or seal the ends. Place oil in a deep sided saucepan and heat to 175C.
- Cook two or three tacquitos at a time. Use tongs to feel when they are crisp and golden, remove and drain on paper towels.
Barbecued chilli chicken
- Place chicken, oil, spices, garlic, salt and lime juice in a bowl. Mix well then place in fridge to marinate for 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes then thread on chicken. Heat barbecue to medium-high heat, cook skewers until caramelised and cooked through, 8-10 minutes.