Gluten-free festive fruit cake
I used Edmonds Gluten-Free flour for this cake. It was voted by consumers in the latest Black Box in-home survey to be the most popular gluten-free flour. Over 100,000 households were involved in the survey.
- Place the dried fruit in a large bowl. Add the sherry and mix well. Cover and soak overnight.
- Next day, preheat the oven to 150C. Line the base and sides of a 23-25cm round spring-form cake pan with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together, until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour, spice and salt into a bowl then add alternately to the butter mixture with the dried fruit and any liquid. Spoon into the cake pan and smooth the top with a wet hand.
- Bake for about 2¼ hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove and cool in the pan. Wrap in foil and store in a cool place.
- The top may be garnished with stars cut from gluten-free royal icing.