Rib-eye of beef with potato salad and summer slaw
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Fiona Andersen
As well as running his award-winning Oamaru restaurant with its expansive kitchen garden, Bevan has been working on a new cookbook. Set to hit the shelves this month in time for Christmas, Riverstone Kitchen Another Helping contains 100 recipes (including many favourites that have appeared already in Bite). As always, they feature Bevan’s fresh modern style. Here's a dish you can make to impress your friends over the coming summer.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to the boil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan, over a high heat, until oil just begins to smoke. Season steaks on both sides with a little salt and pepper, and cook steaks according to your preference. Remove steaks from pan and rest for at least 4–5 minutes in a warm place.
- Warm potatoes in the water for 2–3 minutes, before draining well and placing in a bowl with two-thirds of the mayonnaise, chopped parsley and capers. Mix well to combine and divide between four plates.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cabbage, picked parsley, onion, anchovies, if using, remaining mayonnaise and parmesan together.
- Place the steaks on top of the potato salad and finish with the slaw on top of the steaks. Serve immediately.