Lamb rumps with mint salsa verde
( SERVES 6 )
Dedicated to Cardrona farmed merino lamb. Excellent served with a Central Otago Brennan Pinot Noir.
|3||Lamb rumps, about 250g each|
|2 Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|3 Tbsp||Mint, chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Coriander, chopped|
|1 cup||Beef stock, or meat glaze|
|2 Tbsp||Rice flour, mixed with 2 Tbsp water to thicken, optional|
Mint salsa verde
- Season the lamb rumps with salt and freshlu ground pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy non-stick frying pan. Sear the lamb on all sides. Sprinkle with the garlic and herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the rumps in a roasting pan. Roast until medium-rare, about 20 minutes. Tent with foil and rest in a warm place for 6-8 minutes.
- Make a gravy in the roasting pan using a good meat glaze or beef stock. It may be thickened with the rice flour mixed to a paste with the water, if preferred.
- Serve the lamb sliced with the combined salsa ingredients and the gravy on the side.
See more of Jan's Queenstown-inspired recipes