( MAKES 24 )
This recipe was created by Allyson Gofton for the Great Kiwi Morning Tea, a fundraiser organised by Kiwis for kiwi. All money raised by the national charity, that supports community-led kiwi conservation projects, goes towards protecting kiwi and their habitat. These biscuits are simple to make. Use the glace icing and/or melted chocolate to decorate them.
|500 g||Butter crust sweet short pastry, either sheets or block|
|1 Tbsp||Ground ginger, optional|
|¼ cup||Crystallised ginger, chopped (optional)|
|1½ cups||Icing sugar, sifted|
|1 Tbsp||Melted butter|
|2 Tbsp||Milk, warmed, or water (you may need to increase the amount to 3 Tbsp)|
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease 1-2 baking trays.
- On a lightly floured bench knead ground ginger and crystallised ginger, if using, into the sweet short pastry.
- Roll the dough out to 3-4mm thickness. Use a kiwi cutter to cut out kiwi-shaped biscuits and place on the prepared trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the biscuits begin to turn brown. Transfer to a cake rack to cool.
- In one bowl stir all the glace icing ingredients together. In another bowl or bowls, melt the chocolate(s). Use the icing and/or melted chocolates to decorate the biscuits, adding cachous for eyes. Decorate further as wished.