Hot smoked salmon
( SERVES 4 )
The aroma of freshly smoked salmon is mouth-watering. Hot smoking is relatively easy to do at home with very little effort, and the results are always very impressive. The only equipment you require is a large deep frying pan or wok and a small round wire rack to fit inside it, for the salmon to sit on. There are so many ways to enjoy this salmon. Still hot, straight out of the pan is one of the best. It’s great on croutons or crackers with mayonnaise and gherkins, with crisp salad greens and rocket, on toasted sourdough or Vogels, with pasta or wild rice or rolled in a tortilla wrap for lunch.
- Mix spices with salt and sugar then gently rub the salmon all over with spice mix. Place in the fridge and allow to marinate for an hour.
- Gently scrape off excess marinade, pat dry with a paper towel then place salmon on a small wire cake rack.
- Take a large piece of foil. Mix woodchips with 2 teaspoons of water then spread on one side of the foil. Fold foil over and seal edges to form an envelope then pierce small holes in the top to allow smoke to come out.
- Place envelope in the frying pan over a high heat, place rack with salmon on top. Heat until smoke begins to waft out of the holes then cover with a tight fitting lid or cover tightly with tinfoil.
- Reduce to a medium heat. If you see there is no smoke coming out, increase the heat a little. Cook for 15 minutes.
Follow these instructions on how to hot-smoke salmon in a frying pan or wok.