Rhubarb custard cake
Serve with coffee or add extra rhubarb and whipped cream and serve as a dessert.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- To roast the rhubarb, wash the rhubarb, shake off the excess water and cut into 5cm lengths. Place in a roasting pan just large enough to hold it in a single layer. Sprinkle with the caster sugar and toss to cover evenly. Cover with foil. Roast for about 20 minutes, remove the foil and continue cooking until the juices are syrupy. Cool
- To prepare the cake, first lightly grease a 23cm spring-form cake pan. Line with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the custard aside in a bowl.
- Beat the butter, remaining custard, caster sugar, orange rind and vanilla essence, until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix to combine.
- Spoon one-third of the mixture into the cake pan then scatter with a thrid of the rhubarb. Repeat twice. Dot the tops with the reserved custard.
- Bake for 40 minutes, cover with foil and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes, until a skewer inserted in then centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan. Great served dusted with icing sugar.