( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
My mum travelled through Eastern Europe and all I got was a tin of paprika. Mum knows me so well because, for me, a tin of paprika is the perfect present and I headed straight to the kitchen to make a version of chicken paprika which is Hungarian in origin. I hadn’t made one for ages and had forgotten how good it is… made even better thanks to this cute wee tin of spice.
- Fry the chicken pieces in the oil and butter until brown all over. Remove from the pan.
- Turn down the heat and cook the onion and garlic gently until onion is soft.
- Turn the heat back up and add the mushrooms, stir-frying for 2 minutes.
- Stir through the paprika and then the chicken stock. Add the chicken back in. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce is turning syrupy and the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile cook egg noodles according to packet instructions.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and lemon zest and fold through the sour cream. Serve sprinkled with extra paprika and chopped parsley.