Squid with mushroom and capsicum
( SERVES 4 )
Whole squid tubes are stuffed in this recipe with a Mediterranean mixture. If the tubes are small you may need four. Passata is a thick, tasty Italian tomato purée that is available in supermarkets and specialty stores.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 medium||Onion, diced|
|1||Red capsicum, seeded and diced|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|6 medium||Mushrooms, diced|
|1 cup||Fresh breadcrumbs|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
- Wash the squid tubes well. Remove any cartilage from the top of the tubes.
- To prepare the stuffing, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Sauté the onion, until softened. Add the capsicum, garlic and mushrooms and cook, until soft. Add the breadcrumbs, prosciutto and egg. Mix well. Cool.
- Stuff the tubes with the mixture and secure the ends with toothpicks.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the tubes in a small baking dish. Combine the passata, wine and seasonings and pour over the squid. Cover and bake for 30 minutes until tender.
- To serve, remove the toothpicks, slice into 1 cm rounds and layer onto 4 serving plates. Spoon the sauce around the squid.