Poached chicken and seasonal salad
( SERVES 4 )
Poaching is an easy way of cooking chicken and without the use of much oil, one of the healthiest. Partner it up with seasonal salad and fruit if that suits your palate. And as a bonus - use the poaching liquid for stock at a later date.
|1||Free-range organic chicken|
|1 slice||Fresh ginger|
|1 cup||Macadamia nuts, (roasted)|
|1 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 bunch||Watercress, (or 2 if using hydroponic)|
|1 to taste||Sea salt flakes|
|1 to taste||Black pepper - ground|
- Put the chicken in a large pot, cover with water then add the bay leaves, herbs, onion(halved), peppercorns and ginger.
- Bring to a boil then adjust the heat to a simmer, put on the lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat but don't lift the lid, and leave for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the stock which can be reserved for later use or frozen, then leave to cool before tearing into bite sized pieces.
- Halve the nectarines, slice and put into a large bowl.
- Roughly chop the macadamias and add with the watercress, olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Add the chicken to the bowl, toss thoroughly with your hands before serving.
Goes well with