Pumpkin, beetroot and cavolo nero salad with lamb cutlets
Photo by Tam West
Nudge the old ‘meat and three’ towards spring (and this century) by transforming the whole deal simply into a salad.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Rub beetroot with olive oil, wrap loosely in a foil parcel and bake for 30-50 minutes or until tender — test with a small, sharp knife.
- Place pumpkin in a small roasting pan, toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and cook in oven alongside the beetroot, stirring after 15 minutes. Remove from oven after 30 minutes or as soon as edges are browning and pumpkin is tender.
- Set vegetables aside to cool a little, then slice beetroot into very thin wedges.
- Place lamb cutlets in a large non-stick pan preheated to medium-high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, turning once, until medium-rare. Remove to a plate to cool slightly. (You may need to cook these in 2 batches.)
- Place cavolo nero strips and fennel sprigs in a large, wide bowl and finely grate the zest from the lemon over the top. Trickle a little extra virgin oil over, then squeeze the lemon juice over the greens too. Season with sea salt, and toss gently but thoroughly by hand. Add pumpkin and beetroot and toss gently once more.
- Spread a good tablespoon of the yoghurt on each plate. Arrange salad on each plate then add three lamb cutlets to each.