( SERVES 6 )
Churros must be close to the top of our list of our favourite street food treats to eat. They’re sweet and crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. We love the addition of lime zest in the sugar mix that gives this dish a little lift. We think of the Churros like a spoon for the rich and velvety chocolate sauce we serve them with. You can make them as long or as short as you like. They are best served fresh from the fryer so it’s good to have serving plates at the ready for when they have drained for a few minutes and coated in the sugar mix.
|2½ Tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|2 Ltr||Vegetable oil, for deep frying|
Lime and cinnamon coating
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, sugar, salt and 2½ tbsp vegetable oil. Bring to the boil and remove from heat. Sift in the flour and stir for 1 minute until the mixture comes together and looks smooth with no lumps. It should come together into a ball.
- Place oil in a large pot for deep frying and heat oil to 180C. Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag. Fry for about 5 minutes until golden, making sure to turn the Churros over in the oil. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine all ingredients for the lime and cinnamon coating together in a tray and toss the Churros in themix once they have cooled slightly.
- Heat cream in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Leave for 5 minutes or until the chocolate has melted and mix together.
- Serve Churros immediately with a side of the chocolate sauce to dip.