Parsley, lemon and barley salad
( SERVES 4 )
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Wash the parsley and strip the leaves from the stalks. Tie the stalks together with string and put into a pan with the barley and the stock.
- Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 50 minutes or until the barley is tender and the stock has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, roast the peppers for 30 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Tip the barley into a bowl, discard the parsley stalks and allow to cool. Chop the parsley leaves and add to the barley with the tomatoes, cucumber, salad onions and olives. Spoon into the peppers and serve.
- This salad works well with both curly and flat-leaf parsley - try it both ways and see which you prefer. The stalks add a subtle flavour to the barley and the dish also goes well with slices of cold roast beef mixed through.