Apple cake with dark caramel sauce
( SERVES 12 )
Photo by Michael Criag
|1 cup||Sultanas, raisins, and dates, use a mixture or just whichever you prefer|
|2 medium||Apples, peeled and grated|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|½ cup||Water, boiling|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract, good quality|
|1½ cups||Plain flour|
|1 pinch||Sea salt|
- For the cake, preheat oven to 180C. Line and grease a 20cm spring-form cake tin with baking paper and butter.
- In a medium-large bowl, add the dried fruit, grated apple and baking soda. Cover with the boiling water. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar until very pale and fluffy. This takes a good 10-15 minutes. Add the egg and the vanilla and continue to beat until combined.
- Stir in sifted flour and salt, then add the date and apple mixture. Gently fold together, and pour into prepared tin. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm with the caramel sauce.
- For the sauce, place sugar, cream, butter, and salt in a small saucepan, and cook on a medium low heat until melted. Continue stirring for about 5 minutes as it thickens, then add the vanilla. Allow to cool slightly, then serve with the cake and some cream. Store in a jar in the fridge.