Fresh flour tortillas
( MAKES 16 )
These are fantastic for eating with your fingers filled with pulled pork, salmon, veggie curry or refried beans and guacamole. For serving as nibbles make them half the size.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a cake mixer. Add the oil and water and, using the dough hook, mix for 1 minute on medium speed. Scrape down. Mix for another minute on low speed, until it forms a ball.
- Tip onto a floured bench and divide into 16 equal pieces.
- Form each piece into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand. Cover with a clean tea towel and rest for 15 minutes.
- Lightly roll each ball into a rough circle about 12cm in diameter.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-low heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook for 1 minute, until the base has a few light brown spots and it starts to puff up. Turn it over and continue to cook for about 30 seconds. Remove the tortilla to a plate. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel if there is excess flour. Repeat with the remaining balls.
- Stack the tortillas on top of each other. Store in an airtight container or zip-lock bag.
- Reheat briefly in the microwave or wrapped in foil in the oven.
See more or Jan's Mexican inspired recipes