Citrus coconut-iced cupcakes
( MAKES 6 large or 12 smaller cupcakes )
Photo by Tam West
|150 g||Unsalted butter, softened|
|150 g||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla paste, or use seeds from ½ vanilla pod|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|200 g||High grade flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|⅓ cup||Milk, warmed, you may need to use up to ½ cup milk|
- Heat oven to 180C. Cream butter with caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating fully after each. Add vanilla bean paste and fold in lemon zest and juice.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter in stages, folding in gently as you go. Add ⅓ cup of warm milk, more if required, to create a batter with a nice drop consistency.
- Line large or medium-sized muffin pans with appropriate sized cupcake liners. Spoon in mixture to ¾ fill the liners. Bake for 20 minutes or more (depending on size) until they have risen and a cake skewer comes out clean. Cool before icing.
- To make icing, beat cream cheese, mascarpone and icing sugar together until smooth. Add the lemon or orange zest with enough juice to taste and finely grated, or desiccated, coconut. Spread or pipe on to cupcakes and garnish with more zest.
More special icings for Warren's vanilla cupcakes