Plum or berry-iced vanilla cupcakes
( MAKES 6 large or 12 smaller cupcakes )
Photo by Tam West
|150 g||Unsalted butter, softened|
|150 g||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla paste, or the seeds from ½ vanilla pod|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|200 g||High grade flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|⅓ cup||Milk, warmed (you may need to use up to ½ a cup)|
Cream cheese icing
- Heat oven to 180C. Cream butter with caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating fully after each. Add vanilla bean paste and fold in lemon zest and juice.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter in stages, folding in gently as you go. Add ⅓ cup of warm milk, more if required, to create a batter with a nice drop consistency.
- Line large or medium-sized muffin pans with appropriate sized cupcake liners. Spoon in mixture to ¾ fill the liners. Bake for 20 minutes or more (depending on size) until they have risen and a cake skewer comes out clean. Cool before icing.
- To make icing, beat cream cheese with creme fraiche until smooth. Add enough plum or berry compote to taste and colour. Spread or pipe on to cupcakes. Drizzle with a little more compote and top with crushed pistachio nuts to serve.