Parsnip and leek soup
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
Our mum makes one of the best parsnip soups. It is creamy and comforting but not too heavy and rich. We like to add some crispy bacon to the top, plus a few garlicky croutons. Parsnips have a lovely sweetness and a delicious earthy taste. We like to take this with us in a flask when we have a busy day, which makes us happier about the crisp weather.
- Heat the oil in a large pot on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns and cook until the onions are soft.
- Add the parsnips and leeks to the pan and cook for a few minutes before adding the chicken stock.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Puree the mix in a food processor or using a whizz stick. Gradually add the cream as you are blitzing. Add more cream or water if too thick. Season to taste.
- To serve, pour into bowls and garnish. Garnish suggestion: Bacon and Brussels sprouts