Olive cheese bites
( MAKES 20 )
Not all baking is sweet. These olive cheese bites are great to have on hand when friends call in unexpectedly at wine o’clock. Use black or green olives, stuffed if you like, with the stones removed. Add a bigger than usual pinch of cayenne if you’re feeling brave. These take just 10 minutes to make. Keep them in the fridge ready to place in a hot oven when visitors arrive. The crunchy, warm, cheesy pastry is always delicious.
- Set oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor put the cheese, flour, parsley, poppy seeds, salt, butter and cayenne. Blitz until the mix forms a dough. Roll on a lightly floured bench to combine further.
- Divide the dough evenly into 20 small pieces. Flatten one in your hand, place an olive on it and roll to form a ball.
- Continue with the remaining dough. Space the balls evenly on a baking tray. Brush with a little egg wash. Top with extra poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden and cooked.
Have a look at more of Angela's baking recipes