Lemon and herb roast chicken with fennel and bean salad
Roast chicken is a classic. Do you carve at the table or in the kitchen? I tend to be a carve-at-the-table cook, but this definitely depends on the occasion.
|2||Red onions, peeled and quartered|
|2||Garlic bulbs, sliced horizontally|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Sea salt and cracked black pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Chopped parsley|
Fennel and bean salad:
- Set oven to 200C. In an oven tray, scatter onion pieces and add garlic.
- Place whole chicken, breast side up, on top of onions. Drizzle with olive oil, rubbing it into skin. Add butter and rub that in also.
- Season well with salt and pepper, and zest and juice of one lemon, rubbing in well. Cut lemons in half and place inside the chicken cavity, with the thyme.
- Sprinkle with parsley, and roast in oven for 1 hour, or until juices run clear. Carve at the table and serve with fennel salad, and your favourite roast vegetables.
For the fennel and bean salad
- Place rinsed and drained beans in a bowl with fennel slices, lemon zest strips, and rocket.
- Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil, vinegar and orange juice, and gently mix to combine. Taste and adjust as necessary — you may need a squeeze of lemon or more seasoning. Scatter with almonds and serve with your roast chicken.