Butterflied lamb leg with warm greens
Roasts needn't be overly stodgy and fatty. Gravy and roast potatoes are a classic combination but there are so many other amazing things you can do with vegetables to create a fabulous meal.
|1½ kgs||Lamb, leg butterflied|
|1||Red onion, peeled and cut into chunks|
|5 cloves||Garlic, peeled and roughly chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|2 Tbsp||Chopped parsley|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh mint, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh rosemary, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|1 cup||Frozen peas|
|1 cup||Broad beans, frozen|
|2||Courgettes, sliced thickly|
|1 Tbsp||Cooking oil|
|1 pinch||Chilli flakes|
|2 Tbsp||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh mint, roughly chopped|
For the lamb
- Set oven to 220C. In a roasting tray, scatter onions.
- Place butterflied lamb leg on top of onions, fat side up (there should be a thin layer of fat on one side).
- Score side of the lamb with the fat in large diagonal shapes. Sprinkle a large pinch of sea salt and plenty of cracked black pepper over it.
- Rub garlic into slits where you’ve scored it, and rub in mustard. Sprinkle herbs and a drizzle of olive oil over.
- Place roasting tray in oven, and cook for about 20 minutes, until skin crisps and goes golden. Remove from oven and add wine to tray.
- Return lamb to oven, and reduce temperature to about 190C. Roast for a further 20-25 minutes, depending on size. Remove from oven, rest for about 5-10 minutes under tinfoil, then slice into thick strips.
For the warm salad
- Cook peas according to packet instructions, ensuring they stay firm to the bite. Cook broad beans according to packet instructions, and remove shells. Drain both and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high. Add courgettes and chilli flakes and pan fry until golden and slightly charred. Add lemon juice and continue to cook, stirring constantly.
- Add courgettes to pea and broad bean mixture, and sprinkle with herbs. Serve with the dressing.
For the dressing
- Whisk together oil, mustard, garlic, lemon zest, juice, and seasoning. Stir almonds and parsley through. Drizzle over greens and serve with lamb.