( SERVES 6 )
Can a leisurely cup of tea compete with a zippy espresso?
- Place the sponge layers bottom-side up on a bench. Scoop out 4 passionfruit into a small bowl and add 4 heaped teaspoons of caster sugar.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves. Spread this mixure evenly over both layers of sponge. This may be done several hours before serving.
- An hour before serving, put the cream in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and a dash of vanilla.
- Whisk until the cream starts to firm. Place one layer of sponge, bottom-up, on a serving plate. Spread with the whipped cream.
- Flip the second layer of sponge on top of the cream.
- To make the icing, scoop 1 passionfruit into a small bowl and beat in the sifted icing sugar and boiling water to make a thin icing.
- Spread the icing over the top of the sponge. Set aside in a cool place for an hour before serving