( MAKES 2 loaves )
This bread could also be sprinkled with nigella seeds.
- Place the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl. Stand until the yeast starts to foam.
- Place the flour and salt in a cake mixer. Using the dough hook, gradually add the water/yeast combo. Add the ¼ cup of olive oil and continue kneading with the dough hook for 8 minutes.
- Form into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl and brush with more oil. Cover. Stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 250C. Lightly flour 2 large oven trays.
- Divide the mixture in half and roll into 2 balls. With wet hands press the dough out to form 2 long ovals about 30cm x 20cm on each oven tray. Using your fingers make dimples in the dough. Brush with the egg and sprinkle with the cumin or caraway seeds and extra salt. Bake, one tray at time if necessary, for 8-10 minutes, until golden.
- Best served freshly made and hot.