( MAKES 4 small desserts )
Creme brulee is also a great treat. I bought a blowtorch just for this a few years ago and love it in my kitchen gadget repertoire, but I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve used it. The grill in the oven works just fine.
- Set oven to 150C. Place 4 small ramekins or ovenproof teacups in a baking tray with deep sides.
- In a heatproof bowl, mix the egg yolks and the caster sugar. Set aside.
- Place the cream and the vanilla seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil on a low-medium heat.
- Once boiled, slowly pour the cream on to the egg yolk mixture, mixing constantly.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins/teacups. Fill the baking tray with water until the level reaches two-thirds of the way up the ramekins.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until the custards are cooked but still have a wobble. Remove carefully from the oven, and refrigerate until cold.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the tops of the custards with the white sugar, then scorch the tops with a kitchen blowtorch. If you don’t have a blowtorch, place the ramekins on a baking tray and grill at 200C until the sugar is caramelised.
- Serve immediately. They’re great on their own, or with fresh passionfruit or mango.