( MAKES 14 )
Light and airy, the size of these scones makes them more suited to afternoon tea than a hunger-busting morning coffee accompaniment.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Lightly dust an oven tray with flour.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add the sugar. Stir in 250ml of cream with a fork. If too dry, continue adding the remainder of the cream.
- Turn onto a floured bench. Knead 3 or 4 times. Roll to about 1cm thickness. Cut into 5cm rounds using a biscuit cutter. Cut straight down through the dough – do not twist the cutter otherwise the scones will rise unevenly. Offcuts can be gently kneaded, rolled and cut into rounds.
- Place on the prepared tray and bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Great served topped with strawberry jam and thickened cream.
See more of Jan's creamy recipes