Olive oil citrus cake
( MAKES 20cm cake )
Photo by Tam West
This recipe was adapted from a cake served at Quickenberry Lodge in the Wairarapa, using Olives NZ’s extra virgin olive oil. To read about Warren’s foodie journey through the region, click here.
- Grease and line a 20cm round springform cake tin. Heat oven to 170C.
- Beat caster sugar with 3 of the egg yolks and 1 egg white (reserve the other 2 whites for step 4), until pale and ribbony.
- Stir in lemon and orange zest and juice and vanilla paste.
- Sift in both flours, and fold in to incorporate. Slowly fold in the oil to form a smooth batter.
- Beat the remaining egg whites with a good pinch of salt to form stiff peaks. Gently fold into the batter, a spoonful at a time.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes until golden and firm to touch.
- Remove from tin, leave to cool and serve with a yoghurt and mascarpone cream and clementine segments.
More of Warren's Wairarapa-inspired dishes