Rosemary roasted beef
Wonderful served with a Syrah.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly oil a roasting pan.
- Ensure the beef is at room temperature. Wrap the bacon rashers around the meat to almost cover.
- Peel and chop the carrots, parsnips and pumpkin into thick chunks. Place in the roasting pan with the yams and garlic and toss with a little olive oil. Season. Sprinkle with the dried rosemary. Place the meat on top. Top with some fresh rosemary.
- Roast for 1 hour for medium or 1¼ hours for medium to well done.
- Remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Tent with foil. Cover with a towel. Stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with red wine. Use the juices to prepare a sauce or gravy.
Hints for making the most of your roast
- Ensure the meat is at room temperature before placing it in the oven.
- Weigh the meat to calculate the cooking time.
- Use a meat thermometer to take any guesswork out of the cooking time.
- Cover the roast with foil after removing from the oven. Top with a thick towel and rest for at least 15 minutes (depending on the size) before carving.
- To help make a dark gravy, lightly brown the flour in a small, dry pan before adding to the pan juices and/or stock. Or place a couple of tablespoons of flour in a corner of the roasting pan.
Check out more of Jan's roast recipes