These are totally amazing. It’s a little messy layering the colours into the muffin tins but the end result is worth it. They’re really fun to make. You will need four snaplock bags (maybe a few more just in case of mistakes) for this recipe.
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Grease your muffin tins really well.
- Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, sugar, egg, sour cream, milk and vanilla essense into a food processor and whizz until just mixed.
- Divide the muffin mixture evenly into four separate bowls.
- Put a few drops of different food colourings into each bowl. Use more or less in depending on how dark you like the colour.
- Pour the 4 different coloured mixtures into four snaplock bags.
- Cut a small hole in a corner of one of the bags and carefully pipe into the muffin tin.
- Repeat with the other 3 bags of muffin mixture, layering the different colours on top of each other. The muffin tins should end up being just over half full.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let them cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then take them out and sit them on a wire rack.
- When they are completely cool, ice them with vanilla icing (see below) and decorate with hundreds and thousands.
Jo’s vanilla icing
Sift 2 cups icing sugar into a bowl add 100g softened butter and 2-3 tsp vanilla essence. Add boiling water, a Tbsp at a time, beating until smooth.