Chorizo and chickpea soup
( SERVES 2 )
The chorizo and chickpea is adapted from an old Nigella Lawson recipe, although hers uses black beans. My friends made it for me for lunch one Sunday a few years ago — they swear by it for a hangover cure! It’s a spicy broth, but the coriander and the lime cut through, making it a cleansing, warming, bowl of goodness. So crank up the fire, bust out the woollies and get cooking. These are easy, quick and comforting dinners, perfect when it’s cold outside.
- Slice chorizo on a diagonal into 1/2cm slices. On a low-to-medium heat, fry gently to allow oils and aroma to come out.
- Add chickpeas and spices and mix together.
- Increase heat and add tin of tomatoes. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add stock and continue to simmer until you are ready to serve. Taste and season as necessary.
- Ladle soup into bowls, ensuring you get pieces of chorizo and chickpeas in each bowl. Garnish with plenty of fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime.