Hazelnut and chocolate pavlova roll
( SERVES 4 )
What’s more classically Kiwi than a pavlova? Our quick-dessert trick is pav rolls. You can enjoy the light, marshmallowy goodness of a pavlova but it takes only 10 minutes in the oven. In summer we use fresh fruit but when it gets a bit colder we get more decadent. Add a few hazelnuts to this dish to add that delicious nutty flavour and a bit of crunch. Using the amazing Heilala vanilla, topped with a drizzle of chocolate sauce, takes this dessert to the next level. It’s our Dad’s favourite but you definitely need a sweet tooth.
|1 scoop||Cornflour, to dust|
|4 large||Egg whites|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|2 tsp||White wine vinegar|
|1 tsp||Pure vanilla extract|
- Heat oven to 170C. Line a 30cm x 24cm slice pan with baking paper and sprinkle with first measure of cornflour.
- Put egg whites in a mixing bowl and using the whisk attachment, whip until stiff peaks form, this should take about 5 minutes.
- With whisk set at a high speed, gradually add sugar until combined and you can feel no sugar granules when you rub the mix together between your fingers.
- Stir through the Heilala vanilla extract, cornflour and vinegar.
- Spread mix into pan and smooth top with a palette knife or a knife with a flat edge. Bake for 12 minutes or until centre feels firm and meringue has developed a light golden-brown colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Lay out a piece of baking paper big enough to turn roll out on to and dust with cornflour before turning roll on to a fresh piece of baking paper.
- When pavlova roll has cooled, crush hazelnuts and reserve some for garnish. Mix together whipped cream and vanilla extract and spread evenly over roll. Drizzle over chocolate sauce and sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts.
- Carefully roll pavlova roll up, using baking paper to assist by pulling up as you turn roll. Garnish roll with a dusting of icing sugar, grated chocolate and another sprinkle of crushed hazelnuts.
See more of Karena and Kasey's classic Kiwi recipes